O my Jesus, I thank You from the depths of my being
For Your wondrous grace and love
In bearing my sin in Your own body on the tree.
May Your cross be to me
- As the tree that sweetens my bitter Marahs ,
- As the rod that blossoms with life and beauty ,
- As the brazen serpent that calls forth the look of faith .
By your cross crucify my every sin;
- Use it to increase my intimacy with Your self;
- Make it the ground of all my comfort,
- The liveliness of all my duties,
- The sum of all Your gospel promises,
- the comfort of all my afflictions,
- the vigor of all my love, thankfulness, and graces,
- the very essence of all my worship;
- And by it give me the quiet rest of ceaseless praise.
O my Lord and Savior,
You have also appointed a cross for me to take up and carry,
You give me a cross before You give me a crown.
You have appointed my cross to be my portion,
My Self-love hates it,
My Carnal reason is unreconciled to it;
Without the grace of patience
I cannot bear it, Walk with it, Or profit by it.
O blessed cross, what awesome mercies You bring with You!
You are only esteemed as hateful by my rebel will,
And only heavy because I look to myself instead of Christ.
Teach me, gracious Lord and Savior,
That with the cross you have appointed for me, You also send me promised grace
So please help me to bear it patiently, knowing…
- That my cross is Your yoke,
- That my burden is Your call,
- That my pain is Your sanctifying fingers, shaping me for glory.
So, please help me dearest Christ, to believe…
- That Your yoke is my delight
- That Your call is my divine satisfaction, and
- That Your sanctifying grip is leading me to ultimate joy in Your presence and eternal pleasures at your right hand